Wednesday 20 June 2012

Nyan Cat Birthday Cake


Mr Mi had a second birthday celebration (lucky man!) and this time I decided to move on from the Android cake and set myself a new challenge. Mr Mi loves Nyan cat, I had no idea what it was until he showed me a few months ago. Who would have thought a cat stuffed inside a poptart with rainbows coming out of its bottom would be so popular? Although I have to admit that after watching it I couldn’t get the song out of my head for days! After seeing this amazing Nyan Cat Cake from Grace Cakes, I thought I would give it a go.


For the cake, I used a basic vanilla cupcake recipe with the addition of the zest of one orange. I divided the cake batter into four portions and coloured each portion red, yellow, green and blue using Wilton gel colours. Then, I gently placed each of these portions into a cake tin one at a time to create a layering effect. For the buttercream, I used Na’s recipe with the addition of the zest of one orange and 2 tablespoons of orange juice. Now, the Nyan cat took a good few hours to make…if you attempt this I suggest making it well in advance and storing in an airtight container. I traced an image from the Internet using baking paper and used this as a template to cut out the shapes from ready rolled icing. It was a fun experience, that was until I started to cut the pixels out for the poptart sprinkles…by then I was ready to have a break! It is a simple design, but don’t be fooled...cutting all those square edges out and assembling takes time! The cake turned out pretty well and was enjoyed by all. Love Mi xo


2 comments:

  1. Hi Mi,

    The icing looks impressively like Nyan cat, but I'm most amazed by the accuracy of what genuinely is a rainbow cake (hopefully not from the cat's bottom).

    Regards,
    Ky

    P.S. Took your advice and didn't listen to the cat's song to avoid its hypnotic effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...thanks Ky! Let's see how long it takes before you give in and listen to the cat's song, it's calling you! Stay tuned for our Thursday lunch post. We will miss you. Love Mi xo

      Delete