Wednesday 22 January 2014

Banana & Nutella Cupcakes


It's no secret that I have a sweet tooth, in fact I think all of my teeth are sweet! :) It's mini-Mi's first birthday soon, WOW a year has passed by way too quickly and I started thinking about what amazing creations I could make for his first birthday cake. Then I stopped to think about the fact that we have been providing him with a well balanced and healthy diet so far and why should his first birthday cake be any different? In addition, he is allergic to eggs so it got me searching for recipes that are egg-less/vegan and low/no sugar. This was completely unknown territory for me so I spent a lot of time reading about different egg and sugar substitutes. In the end finding a replacement for egg was relatively easy and as for sugar I didn't really feel that any alternatives we necessarily "better" for you and so I took the opinion that everything in moderation is okay and I would reduce the quantity and use unrefined whenever possible. Most importantly, I wanted it to be a cake that was still delicious and appealed to grown-ups too! Anyway, here is my first attempt of an egg-less, reduced sugar recipe slightly modified from Two Red Bowls.


  • 1/2 cup raw caster sugar
  • 100 g unsalted butter (room temperature)
  • 1 cup natural Greek yoghurt
  • 3 very ripe bananas
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup plain flour
  • 1 cup wholemeal flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp Nutella
  • 1 tsp oil

Modifications
  • Doubled the quantities of ingredients mainly because I had three ripe bananas to use up, but kept the amount of sugar the same yielding 24 cupcakes
  • Used raw sugar instead of white sugar
  • Omitted egg (banana can be used to replace egg)
  • Used butter only, no oil
  • Used half plain and half wholemeal flour

The end result was absolutely delicious! The cupcakes were light and fluffy packed with banana goodness and just the right amount of sweetness. I made some for mini-Mi without Nutella and he loved them. Next time, I think I will try making them without sugar and perhaps add a hint of cinnamon. Mi xo

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love that you made this without egg! I'm always looking for eggless baking recipes because I like to scale down my batches -- so happy to know that I could do the same with these cupcakes. And yours look fantastic :) Thank you so much for trying my recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Cynthia! Egg-less baking is new to me, so I'm really glad that it worked out so well. Thanks again for sharing such a great recipe, I will definitely be making this one again. :) Mi xo

      Delete